Balushahi Recipe /Badusha Recipe ...Diwali Sweet Recipe



Balushahi or Badusha is a Very popular Indian sweet/ mithai .Balushai or Badusha is made on festive occasions mainly diwali or boli..Balushahi's or Badusha are indian doughnuts that are flaky yet melt in mouth and so delicious.
Few months back when my cousins visited me they brought few sweets along from a very famous sweet shop at my place when i opened one box i saw there were balushahi's in..To be honest I was not so happy ...lol I expected Malai Peda/Cham Cham which is my fav ..But then when i tasted it I absolutely loved this delicious sweet I wondered why i didnt try it all these years .It was Flaky sweet at the same time soft I absolutely loved it .I thought of trying it at home since i had the recipe written long ago in my old recipe book .I was happy with the outcome ..the balushahi's were super delish and turned out just as i tasted from the sweet shop which my sis brought..


Do try these balushahi this Diwali and enjoy these delicious treat with your family .

Ingredients:
1 1/2  cups flour/maida
4 tbsp curds chilled
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp ghee
1-2 tbsp cold water to knead if required
 ghee /dalda for deep frying
For the syrup
2 cup sugar
1 cup water
few strands of saffron
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
chopped pistachios to garnish

Method
Mix the baking powder and baking soda and sslt in the flour and sift it
To this add melted ghee and mix till it looks like breadcrumbs
Add beaten curds/yogurt to the flour and mix.
Mix to form a dough,the dough won't be smooth don't worry we need the dough to be like that .
Now cover the dough with a cloth and let it rest or 45 -50 mins.
Without kneading the dough divide the dough into 8-9 balls.
Shape it into round balls and make a dent with the thumb.
For smoother yet flaky balushahi take the small portion on your palm flatten it and fold it do this 4 times then roll to ball and make dent  this way the balushahi will be smooth yet flaky .

Heat the ghee /dalda in a kadhai ,the ghee should be medium hot
Drop a small ball of dough to check if the ghee is hot,the bal will float on top this indicates the ghee is hot.
Fry the balushahis oe medium  flame
Fry in 2-3 batches don't overcrowd while frying.
Make sugar syrup by boiling sugar and water  together  till it reaches 1 to 1 and  1/2string consistency.
Add saffron and cardamom powder to the sugar syrup.
Soak the balushahi's in the warm sugar syrup for 10-15 mins.
Turn the balushahi with spoon so that the other side is also soaked as well .
Garnish with chopped pistachios


 Notes
Use chilled curds and chilled water to mix the dough .
I use 3 to 4 tbsp curd and skip water .you may use 2 tbsp curd and about 1 to 2 tbsp chilled water .
Fry on med low flame it takes about 4 to 5 min in each side , let the balushahi fry until light golden .
Do not put the flame high while frying the balushahi ,or else it won't cook from inside.





NewerStories OlderStories Home

16 comments:

Rafeeda AR said...

Uff... just look at them! I had made this once and posted in on the blog as well... you are really tempting me to make them again...

Babitha said...

I love badusha very much ,u tempt me more dear

Culinary Adventuress Piyali Sekhar Mutha said...

Simply mouthwatering. With clearly explained steps you make it so easy to understand how to make this delicious sweet at home. The Badusha looks so perfect. I am salivating and so wish I could have a few. Loved them.

Unknown said...

So inviting badusha..we bong call it balusahi...u explained so nicely. ..

Medeja- CranberryJam said...

I have to admit I am too lazy to make such sweets at home (and don't have experience), so I can at least eat with my eyes here :D

Sundari Nathan said...

Wow!! So perfectly made!! tempting!!

Nava K said...

Super delish and super tempting. Sweets not for me but a sweet occasion, why not a bit.

Unknown said...

Love them anytime ..yumm

Julie said...

I love all Indian sweets,this looks delicious...yummmy!!

Sowmiasgalley said...

Badusha looks mouth watering, the pic reminds me how it tastes... Can I grab some

Sowmia - Sowmia's Galley

Unknown said...

Oh I'm tempted to make this now. I remember making balushahi years ago but they didn't as mouth-watering as yours. On my list now.

Sona said...

Delicious badusha, looks temping and yummy..

Beena said...

Yum yummy

Nandhu said...

Hi, Thanks for the recipe. I did the exact same and cooked with a low flame. But insides are spongy and not flaky. Can u help on where I could be going wrong?

Gloria Fernandes said...

Hi...the dough should not be smooth while kneading.. Just let the dough come together no need to make it smooth by working more on it the flakiness in the balushhai disappears.. The ghee should be med hot but flame should be kept low always. Also making a dent with the thumb is important do not skip that step

priya said...

I guess it exactly tastes like "gharee" we have in gujrat because i never get chance to taste balushahi yet..
Awesome share gloria

Post a Comment